I have two poems eligible to be nominated for the 2012 Aurora Awards. They were published in 2011:
Zombie Bees of Winnipeg
In slanted sunlight's glow,
some stumble into signs
and bounce off with a zing,
exhausted from zagging
down the one-way streets
of downtown Winnipeg.
They shamble, stiff-winged
this Labour Day,
these zombie bees --
a hunched and mumbling swarm
of black encircled eyes
and jaundiced stripes
without the brains to know
they should be dead.
[published Chiaroscuro/ChiZine.com 47, June 2011]
10 things to know about staplers
1) The Greeks invented the stapler.
2) Buzz Aldrin took a stapler to the moon.
3) Staplers can refuse to staple for religious reasons.
4) Staplers regret nothing.
5) When a stapler jams, someone will die.
6) Staplers are government spies.
7) Staplers eat one sock a month.
8) Surgical staplers are alcoholics.
9) Staplers dream of electric staplers.
10) Staplers know all your secrets.
[published Star*Line, Jan/Mar 2011 issue]